Tuesday, January 03, 2006

Smoky Chipotle Salsa with Pan-Roasted Tomatillos Review

5 stars (on a 5 star scale) p. 149-150 Very good as a salsa. I've had identical in restaurants (and been happy). Addendum Apr 26, 2006: I made a half-batch and it didn't come out as well. Not sure why. Could be that I had to use garlic powder instead of roasted garlic, or that I let the tomatillos sit for a while before blending. But the result was still at least four stars anyway. Addendum Nov 30, 2006: At first, I thought this repetition of the recipe was worse than the first. I had theories (e.g., old tomatillos, too much water). But when I tasted it again a while later with fresh tortilla chips, it was quite good. I withdraw my what-would-have-been less than laudatory review. The recipe also suggested sauteing the salsa with chicken and onion to make a main course. I tried that too.

3 comments:

Unknown said...

have a recipe for it?

mark said...

Yes. The recipe comes from Mexican Everyday by Rick Bayless with Deann Groen Bayless (as does every recipe on this site). I would happy to give you a copy of it if you send me an e-mail. My e-mail address is listed in the second-to-last paragraph of the main page of this blog.

Anonymous said...

I made some over the weekend and added the leftover salsa to some sourcream with a little salt and it made an excellent dip.