Thursday, February 09, 2006

Red Chile Chicken and Rice with Black Beans Review

5 stars (on a 5 star scale) p. 267-269 Very good. Nice bit of spiciness. The ingredients went together well and each tasted flavorful on its own. I needed to add extra chicken broth while cooking to prevent burning. The recipe suggests serving it with a little salsa. I tried this with a basic but good tomato salsa and found it detracted from the dish; it was more enjoyable on its own. Addendum: I've made this a few times since my original post. It’s still good. I like the balance of protein (chicken), starch (rice), and vegetable (onion, broccoli, whatever). (I tried the broccoli elaboration, which worked well.) I've always found no salsa was necessary. I like that this is a straightforward, forgiving recipe.

3 comments:

Chris said...

I actually thought this was awesome with the chipotle-tomatillo salsa.

Ours...

Glad to find this blog, I'm enjoying comparing our reactions to the recipes. :)

Claire said...

I just made this tonight to take to some friends who love Rick Bayless and came across your blog when looking for other Rick Bayless recipes. I plan to make it for my family soon...so tasty and pretty easy. My rice took A LOT longer than the time listed in the recipe, and I also had to add more chicken broth to help it out. I used chipotle chili powder (not thinking how much more heat it would add), and it was pretty darn spicy.

Anonymous said...

if you thought this was 5 stars (my wife did) try the chileatole recipe on pages 127-128. i have to give that one at least 8 thumbs up!