Wednesday, April 26, 2006

Chipotle Beef Tacos with Caramelized Onions Review

4 stars (on a 5 star scale) p. 194-197 Decent, but then how can one go wrong with soft tacos of steak and onions? The salsa definitely adds the zest to the dish. Note that I followed the directions to put a light patina on the steak; this probably wasn't enough. Cooking this recipe wasn't complicated yet requires care and practice. In particular, the steak ended up undercooked in the center, so much so that one required finishing (after slicing) in the microwave. (The other was done enough that I was willing to eat it only because I cooked it; if served it at a restaurant I would probably have sent it back.) Also, I failed to make the onion caramelize correctly -- I got them to turn golden but by that point they were no longer crunchy/crispy. This dish requires too much heat to use non-stick. Using non-stick creates weird odors during cooking. Update on May 13 2006: I used the leftover marinate on chicken. It turned out really spicy, so spicy my tongue was burning and (to some extent) my nose was running. Tried both by itself and wrapped in a corn tortilla with stir-fried sliced onions and chopped cilantro. Both was were fine, nothing more.

No comments: