Recipe Reviews: Mexican Everyday by Rick Bayless

Sunday, May 28, 2006

Seafood Salad Tacos with Tomato, Radish and Habanero (salsa) Review


3.5 stars (on a 5 star scale)
p. 202-204

A decent refreshing summery dish of cold ingredients in a warm wrapper. Primary flavors come from the onion and cilantro, then the tomato. The radish is so minor as to be forgettable. Shrimp is a nice unassertive filling. As I couldn't find habaneros, I used habanero salsa (made by Frontera, the publishers of this cookbook). The salsa added some zest though made the tacos watery; I can see using a habanero directly being better. My apartment-mate frequently skipped the salsa; I occasionally did but then added it back when I realized I like some zest in my meal. I also tried adding goat cheese to the unsauced tacos; it didn't help or hurt.

2 Comments:

  • You can get young plants by mail and grow your own habaneros in a small garden area or large pot. One plant is enough as it will yield quite a few peppers at a time and last until autumn frost. I preferred chocolate habaneros to the orange (fransica) but they are both great. Try chileplants.com

    By Blogger hotchilis, at 7:52 PM  

  • from what you said earlyer about not liking hot salsa you will probably not like the hobanero salsa it is the hottest pepper there is.

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 7:17 PM  

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home