Sunday, May 28, 2006

Seafood Salad Tacos with Tomato, Radish and Habanero (salsa) Review

3.5 stars (on a 5 star scale) p. 202-204 A decent refreshing summery dish of cold ingredients in a warm wrapper. Primary flavors come from the onion and cilantro, then the tomato. The radish is so minor as to be forgettable. Shrimp is a nice unassertive filling. As I couldn't find habaneros, I used habanero salsa (made by Frontera, the publishers of this cookbook). The salsa added some zest though made the tacos watery; I can see using a habanero directly being better. My apartment-mate frequently skipped the salsa; I occasionally did but then added it back when I realized I like some zest in my meal. I also tried adding goat cheese to the unsauced tacos; it didn't help or hurt.

2 comments:

hotchilis said...

You can get young plants by mail and grow your own habaneros in a small garden area or large pot. One plant is enough as it will yield quite a few peppers at a time and last until autumn frost. I preferred chocolate habaneros to the orange (fransica) but they are both great. Try chileplants.com

Anonymous said...

from what you said earlyer about not liking hot salsa you will probably not like the hobanero salsa it is the hottest pepper there is.