Thursday, November 30, 2006

Mexican Beans with Chorizo and Greens Review

5 stars (on a 5 star scale) p. 284-285 A warming, filling, and satisfying stew-like/chili-like dish. Tasty. Good on a cold evening. And, best yet, it's healthy and easy and fast to make. Both of the toppings (cheese, green onions) contribute to the dish, though it's still good without them. The cheese melts nicely. Incidentally, I used goat cheese. The green onions add flavor and a little crunch. I used spinach, not Swiss chard. When the spinach wilts, it releases a lot of water. Remember not to use that water, else the dish will be too liquidy. I used beans without salt and found I need to add 1/2 teaspoon salt at the end, the amount recipe suggested might be needed. Only serves three, not four.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

I like that you are reviewing these recipes. I was curious about this book and how authentic the recipes might turn out. Thanks!

Anonymous said...

absolutely delicious and very easy. i lived in mexico for several years and although i don't remember eating this dish it has a real authenticity. i've found that using the smaller amount of chorizo suggested results in the best flavors. we serve it with "JIFFY" brand cornbread. um--ummm!

Anonymous said...

a question, mark. did you use mexican (or latin-american style) chorizo or spanish-style chorizo? its difficult to tell from the picture but they're quite different. regardless, i stand by my assessment of this dish--absolutely delicious and very easy.

mark said...

I'm pretty sure I got the chorizo at my local Mexican market.