Sunday, January 21, 2007

Chipotle Chicken Salad Tacos with Avocado, Red-Skin Potatoes and Romaine Review

4 stars (on a 5 star scale) p. 200-201 A very pretty salad with a nicely balanced and blended set of textures. I don't usually appreciate salads yet was pleasantly surprised how well it turned out. As another bonus, it's surprisingly easy to cook, as the salad dressing doesn't require a blender, as many dressings do. The crispness of the romaine spine went especially well. I can't imagine a better type of salad green for this dish. The avocado topping adds something subtle. I used white vinegar. I was worried three tablespoons would be too much since white vinegar is a pretty assertive form of vinegar. Happily, it was the right amount. I didn't need to add any salt. I guess I salted the potatoes generously enough that the one teaspoon the recipe calls for later was unnecessary. I used Yukon gold potatoes. Note: Only serves three at most, as the tortilla filling is light enough that eating four tortillas for a meal feels natural.

No comments: