Saturday, April 07, 2007

Roasted Poblano-Potato Salad with Flaked Tuna Review

5 stars (on a 5 star scale) p. 94-95 An awesome non-mayo-based potato salad. Perhaps one of the best such potato salads I've ever eaten. Although it's slightly oily, I quickly ceased noticing so it can't be a big deal. Still, next time I'll cut down on the oil a bit. At first, I thought I'd only give the recipe 4.5 stars because I was disappointed it didn't have much tuna and the tuna flavor that appeared was dominated by other flavors. However, I decided that I shouldn't cut my rating simply because my expectations were inappropriate. Leftovers had a stronger tuna odor, although still lacked much tuna flavor. I'm not sure if I'll bother adding more tuna next time I make this dish. Consider this as a warning to simply think of the dish as a potato salad, nothing more. I liked the crunch of the onions. I served it over romaine lettuce, sometimes on whole leaves and sometimes on shredded lettuce. The former looks good. However, I don't believe the lettuce contributed to the dish. If anything, it distracted. In fact, in the future I think I'll skip it entirely. Or maybe use a whole lettuce leaf for presentation but advise my guests not to bother eating it with the potato salad. Note: although in the section for "main dish salads," it didn't feel like the type of dish one wants to eat as the sole or primary portion of a meal.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Fascinating... Great Blog on this book.

elizabeth said...

wow that looks very good!!!