Sunday, June 08, 2008

Jicama Salad with Watercress, Romaine, and Lime-Cilantro Dressing Review

3.5 stars (on a 5 star scale) p. 70-72 I must first admit I'm not really a salad person. All the same, I'm not much of a fan of this salad. It was decent. I felt the peppery bite of the watercress was too strong compared to the other flavors. (Perhaps next time go with the suggestion in the riffs section of using arugula instead? Indeed, I liked the dressing better when I used some leftover dressing with ordinary salad greens. In addition, I think the dressing aged well, making me give the final rating of 3.5 stars.) Also, the dressing, basically lime-cilantro, didn't excite me much. In any case, I must admit I like the salad's crunch. I used two-thirds olive oil, one-third vegetable oil because I was worried about the overwhelming fruitiness of my olive oil. I needn't have worried. In fact, I didn't detect much of the fruitiness of my olive oil; I should have used all olive oil for that. Incidentally, the recipe suggests using either two serranos or a jalapeno; I did the former.

2 comments:

Chris said...

I highly recommend the seared tuna with chayote slaw!

Anonymous said...

i rented the book from the library, and tried this salad first. i agree, the watercress didnt fit the bill, but with julienned jicama alone, about half the oil, and half of that a nice fruity olive oil, it was sublime.