Wednesday, August 19, 2009

Salmon in Luxurious Green Sesame Pipián / Pipian Review

4.5 stars (on a 5 star scale) (hard to estimate because I didn't analyze it in detail) p. 235-237 Good. (Sorry I can't say more; I didn't take many tasting notes the night of the dinner.) When I tasted the salsa beforehand, I thought it was perhaps too spicy, but when I made it into the sauce, it wasn't quite as spicy as I thought it would be, though it still definitely had a kick. (Maybe cut back on the peppers slightly next time?) I thought the cilantro garnish and peas garnish both looked good--complemented the green of the sauce--and I think did something in terms of taste. Also, the sesame seed garnish wasn't noticeable in terms of flavor. It's an easy recipe if you have a bottled salsa or have made the salsa already. I made the salsa using the book's recipe ahead of time. Notes on the preparation:
  • I increased the salsa recipe by 33% (4/3rds) to get closer to the two cups of salsa required by this recipe. It still didn't quite have the two cups of salsa this recipe called for, but I was close: 1.8 cups perhaps.
  • For the salsa, I used two large serrano peppers with seeds.
  • I used medium-salt chicken broth; when I added salt to taste as directed in the middle of the recipe, I found I needed less than 1/2 teaspoon.

No comments: