Monday, May 22, 2006

Tomatillo-Sauced Enchiladas with Spinach and Mushrooms Review

5 stars (on a 5 star scale) p. 215-219 Very good. Both the sauce and the filling taste good apart and work well together. Although it requires lots of preparation time, the dish is not very complicated. I served it topped with sliced red onions, chopped cilantro, and crumbled goat cheese and it looked quite pretty. The former added a nice crispness and the latter added creaminess (like feta but better), though don't add too much or else it drowns the other flavors. I used a mix of oyster and shitake mushrooms; the shitake added some nice meatiness but the oyster didn't contribute anything as near as I could tell. The tomatillo sauce ended up thinner than I think was intended -- I should probably have simmered it longer or added less chicken broth. There was more than enough tomatillo sauce, which worked out fine because it works well as a salsa (if one doesn't mind that it is a bit thinner than most salsas). I prefer fairly amply filled tortillas in general (moving the focus from the sauce to the filling probably more than the recipe intended) and as such the quantity of filling was woefully inadequate. This made nine lightly filled tortillas (and oodles more sauce).

2 comments:

Chris said...

I liked how this one looked so much like the picture in the book.

You know you're probably on the right track in those cases. :)

Here's ours.

Anonymous said...

I have tried a similar recipe. Instead of broth use two ounces of tequelia and reduce.