Monday, June 26, 2006

Pork Tenderloin (actually top loin) a la Mexicana Review

4 stars (on a 5 star scale) p. 282-283 A flavorful easy-to-make stew with a short ingredient list. Each ingredient contributes. (My apartment-mate points out that the sweetness of the pepper and the onions does not overpower the dish because, likely, they are balanced by the acidity of the tomatoes.) I didn't like the pork -- I thought it was a little tough/chewy and that I overcooked it, but my apartment-mate says that that is just the texture of the pork. We both agree the cubes should be smaller. (I had made them smaller then the recommended one-inch cubes, but they should be still smaller so cutting isn't required nor do they dominate a bite.) Maybe I'll use chicken or a meaty fish like catfish next time.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Big difference in texture between pork tenderloin and top loin. I would think any cook would know this and realize why the pork is tough and chewy.

Chris said...

Agree with anonymous -- we made this with the tenderloin, and it was indeed ... tender. ;)

Narcizo and Susan Alvarez said...

I always use thin strip sirloin...delish..every time. my favorite meal.