Friday, March 09, 2007

Red Chileatole with Mushrooms, Chicken, and Zucchini Review

4.5 stars (on a 5 star scale) p. 127-128 The broth has a good, dark, deep, earthy, and spicy chile flavor. And it smells wonderful while simmering! As the recipe remarks, I imagine you can use it successfully as a base for virtually any vegetables or meat. For these particular ingredients: * I liked the zucchini, though next time I'll cut it in bigger chunks so it's more noticeable and distinctive. * I enjoyed the taste of the shiitakes, though they're a bit too chewy for me. (Whenever I cook shiitakes in soup, they always end up like this. Maybe that's simply how they are.) * I used a few white mushrooms. These didn't taste right. * The chicken is chicken. It's nice for texture and protein, but adds no flavor. * I couldn't find epazote. I almost used parsley as a substitute but realized at the last minute that recipe says to substitute flat-leaf parsley and mine wasn't flat-leaf. I only added a negligible amount. Incidentally, I added only three-quarters of a teaspoon of salt at the end, not the one teaspoon the recipe thought might be appropriate. This might be because the chicken broth I used contained salt.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

we made this 2 days ago (for the second time). we ate it that night and then finished it tonight. one of the most delicious satisfying meals ever. thanks for reviewing this book. rick bayless has done some good work here.

Anonymous said...

YUM YUM.. i am trying to learn some healthy Mexican dishes and ones that are quick and easy..muchas gracias :)